Saturday 26 February 2022

Samurai project a busy weekend

This weekend has been a productive time for the Samurai project. The final bit of painting was completed on a unit of mounted Samurai. Additionally I made some palisades, wooden shields, a Torii (traditional Japanese gate to a shrine), and a traditional looking bridge.

Additional mounted Samurai unit painted this week.

The palisades were made from toothpicks and the shields from balsa wood sheets. The Torii was made from a small piece of 3mm MDF sheet cut out with a coping saw. The tiles are made with cardboard covered with gesso paste marked into tiles with a toothpick.

Torii gate and palisades

Palisades and wooden shields

Shields and palisades

The bridge is a simple construction of a rounded piece of wood with sides made from MDF sheet. Just the basic bridge shape which is then painted.

A traditional Japanese bridge

A lick of paint to give the impression of boards.

The bridge is wide enough for unit bases.




10 comments:

  1. You have been busy and everything looks really good to me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very pleasing to knock off the few terrain pieces. There is a second bridge which is still drying.

      Delete
  2. I have to admit I'm getting impatient to see them in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have played one test game, but did not take any photographs of the action.

      Delete
  3. Peter, you continue making good progress on your Samurai project. Your bridge looks very Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy having one or two themed terrain pieces on the tabletop if I can.

      Delete
  4. Very nice work Peter! Funny how many new armies always ends up with a terrain project attached. :) I wonder if this is why many gamers stick to European games. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I could have just stuck with the houses. Making the bridges and Torii seemed like a fun thing to do. Admittedly my terrain is all simplified and not a chore to do.

      Delete
  5. Superb units and bridge Peter, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am finally at the point now where I can have a game with them.

      Delete