Saturday 9 April 2022

Good progress on WW1 Palestine campaign figures

While there has been a little bit of wargaming this week with a One Hour Wargame (OHW) samurai game. Most of my available hobby time has been spent painting the Commonwealth units for the WW1 Palestine campaign. I am now one unit away from have sufficient units to play out a OHW game.

Finished this week...

Indian troops

ANZAC troops

ANZAC camel troops

British troops

The Commonwealth units are now just short of some cavalry. I was hoping to get some Australian Light cavalry figures, but they were all out of stock and so I opted for some WW1 British cavalry. These are now on the painting table and I hope to complete them over the next couple of days.

British cavalry milling around on the painting table.

The Commonwealth forces have the identical units as the completed Turkish forces:

2 x artillery units

1 x camel unit

1 x cavalry unit

5 x infantry units

2 x machine gun units

The machine guns are added to an infantry unit to make it "heavy infantry" in the OHW Machine Age rules. The term "heavy infantry" represents infantry units who are supported with additional machine guns.

The current Commonwealth force and just missing a unit of cavalry.

Infantry unit of 4 bases (top) and an infantry unit with addition of machine gun (bottom).

The next stage of the project is to add another unit of each type (artillery, infantry, cavalry, and machine gun) so I can field about 8 units in a game. After that there will be other additions with armoured cars, aircraft, supply trucks, and may be a tank.

On the tabletop only one game was completed this week. A samurai game as I mull over some campaign ideas.

Blue army is surprised to see Red army units to their rear.

11 comments:

  1. Pretty looking Samurai game - what rules are you using now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. At the moment I am using a variation of OHW Pike and Shot rules. I recently purchased Basic Impetus after playing a hex-based version in some remote games with Jon. I plan to try these with a square grid. I suspect I will flip between the rules.

      Delete
  2. Very much looking forward to the ww1 stuff. I have some scenarios form the old US ruleset - 'The Last Crusade. I must scan and send you. Always a fascinating sub-period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All being well I should finish the cavalry this week, then I can turn my attention to some terrain, buildings and a few trenches. The scenarios would be great, drop a comment and I will provide an email address. Thanks

      Delete
  3. That's a good way to cover the Palestine front without going overboard on new minis. Even better many of them can also be used on several other fronts, East Africa vs Germans inc Askari, Iraq vs Turks, the Caucasus w Kurds and Cossacks vs Turks....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expanding to the East Africa campaign is very tempting as it would provide some good skirmish game options. First though, I will be creating an Arab Revolt force. The remaining few items are in the post.

      Delete
  4. You've made phenomenal progress with this project. I look forward to seeing it all in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pleasing to see the units roll off the painting table, even if they are simply painted and will minimal detail painted.

      Delete
  5. Great work on the British troops there Peter and I particularly like the ANZAC chaps. I look forward to seeing them in action. The Samurai game looks cool too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The campaign had a real mix of nationalities, next up will be some Arab units. I am enjoying the colourful look of the Samurai armies whenever I get them on to the tabletop.

      Delete