Saturday 31 August 2024

Preparing futuristic terrain for a Mech game

While I’m busy preparing for a house move. Packing and getting the house ready for sale, mostly tackling those small tidy-up tasks I have ignored for years. I am still finding slots of time in between tasks for  wargaming related activities. Over the past couple of days, I’ve been working on some terrain for a futuristic Mech game. I recently marked a 4-inch grid on a brown felt mat using dots to mark the corners. Since I plan to use some One-Hour Wargames scenarios for my games, many of which feature rivers, I decided that for my futuristic game set on a mining planet, crevasses could replace the rivers. I found some black suede cloth in my wife’s material stash and cut it into strips to represent crevasses on the tabletop. 

The gaming mat prepared with a square grid, each corner is marked with a dot.

Some crevasses created with black cloth cut up.

I already had some foam hills made up. They have been borrowed from my 6mm WW2 Western Desert game. Details of how I made them here.

Foam hills.

The next steps are to finalise the rules I've been playing around with and begin writing a narrative for the games and campaign I am planning.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you are still getting in some hobby time Peter. Good way to represent the crevasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time is mainly in the evenings and it takes my mind off all the outstanding tasks for a while.

      Delete
  2. The black suede is a clever idea to indicate a crevice, Peter - your mechs (or whatever they are called!) look great alongside the terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black seems to work well. I probably would have gone with dark brown, but there was none to hand.

      Delete
  3. Excellent. Necessity is indeed the mother of invention.

    ReplyDelete