|Elite pike - the last unit to be painted|
|Start of the campaign and the contest begins in the Yorkshire region.|
The rules for contesting a region are:
- Taking turns players pick a region which has not been contested.
- Both sides dice for the order of battle which are influenced by any adjacent controlled regions (see below).
- The winner of the battle gains control of the region.
- This process continues until all regions are controlled and the campaign can move on to the year 1643.
The orders of battle are decided using the following steps for games:
- Cavalry = D3+2
- Infantry = D3+2
- Dragoons or Commanded Shot = D3
- Artillery and elite units = D3-1 (elite units for Parliamentarian forces are Lobsters and Royalists forces are elite pike).
When dicing for the order of battle, a side can re-roll a D3 score for each adjacent controlled region. The re-rolled score stands. For example, a side controlling 3 adjacent regions can take the opportunity to re-roll 3 times and a category (infantry, cavalry, etc) can be re-rolled more than once.
I still have to write up my notes on campaign rules for the years 1643 onwards. This may appear a bit haphazard on my part, but the whole ECW period seems to be a rather haphazard affair.
|A game in progress|
|Infantry units bide their time.|