Wednesday 12 September 2018

ECW army painting close to finish

The last week, and weekend, was very productive on the painting front with four English Civil War units completed. This leaves only two units remaining to paint, one of which is on the painting table halfway through the painting process.

Three of the units painted which got plonked into the middle of a W40K game for photographing
I need to complete all the figures before I can start the planned ECW campaign. Well, that is the goal I have set so there are no unpainted stragglers left behind. Once complete I will have:

Parliamentarians

  • 6 x cavalry (trotter) units
  • 6 x infantry (mixed musket and pike) units
  • 2 x artillery units
  • 1 x cavalry (lobster) unit
  • 1 x commanded shot unit
  • 2 x dragoon units
  • 1 x command stand

Royalists

  • 6 x cavalry (trotter) units
  • 6 x infantry (mixed musket and pike) units
  • 2 x artillery units
  • 1 x infantry ("Cornish" pike) unit
  • 1 x commanded shot unit
  • 2 x dragoon units
  • 1 x command stand

I may choose to add one or two more units overtime, but these forces provide the basis for a variety of armies, be they cavalry based or infantry based. It would be a rare game where they would all be deployed on my 6x4 foot tabletop, it gets too crowed for my liking with more than 12 units.

Meanwhile on the gaming front I have been messing around with some rule ideas for my W40K armies. Here are some photos of a game. The odd looking "alien" dead trees are dried seaweed I collected while on a beach walk a number of years ago.






12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. I am not sure what make they are as I picked them up second-hand.

      Delete
  2. The crowds of onlookers are gathering flasks and sacks of snacks as they eagerly await the opening shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to starting the campaign. I need to develop some chance cards to add a level of uncertainty to the campaign.

      Delete
  3. Those will be flexible and good sized forces once complete. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will be very pleased when I complete the units. These units have remained unfinished and packed up in boxes for 40 plus years.

      Delete
  4. The seaweed trees look superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They worked out really well. No need for painting as they were a wonderful bleached out finish.

      Delete
  5. Peter,

    What rules do you use for ecw?
    Where can I find them? Thanks.

    Lex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be using a D3 dice variation based upon One Hour Wargames pike and shot rules. One of the purposes of the campaign is to test out the rules. I will be posting them as the campaign starts.

      Delete
  6. Your forces seem to provide all you are likely to need for your campaign. I suppose Royalist Horse units can easily be redesignated 'gallopers/Swedish style' when required by the scenario.
    I can see myself following a very similar pattern when I raise my own ECW armies in future.
    Looking forward to seeing the campaign begin.
    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have written gallopers. A cut and paste error on my part. Thank you.

      Delete