Sunday 21 January 2018

Preparing a game and some terrain

An getaway this weekend, while very pleasant, as left little time for wargaming activities. Any time available has been spent preparing some stone walls and bridges, and setting up a WW2 game to test out some rule changes I have been working away on for a while now.

All being well my next blog will have the results of the stone walls and bridges.

The scenario for the WW2 game is based upon the Pont-de-la-Croix game in Operation Warboard by Gavin Lyall (and son Bernard)

My somewhat battered copy of Operation Warboard
The scenario has a small German force defending a bridge and unable to blow the bridge due to no explosives or engineers. Their objective is to deny the allies the bridge crossing or at the very least sufficiently delay them so a counter attack may be mounted.

The Allied advance force is charged with taking and holding the bridge crossing.

Map from the book used as inspiration for my game

The way my units are based means I cannot match the forces used in the book. For starters I generally view my units as representing a company sized unit, while the book is much closer to platoon and troop level units. For the scenario I have attempted to give a similar balance to the forces involved, but have added a mortar unit to each side.

German defenders: armoured infantry (with HQ attached), Panther, 75mm AT gun, pillbox, mortars, and 3 x infantry units.
Defenders in position
The advance Allied force enters down the road.

Allied force: Armoured car, 4 x motorised infantry (one with attached HQ), mortars,  Cromwell tank (with HQ) and 2 x Sherman tank units.

All is set for hopefully a quick and fun game.

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to see how this game pans out. I played the same scenario (using a slightly less senior copy of Operation Warboard), however, I used 1/32 scale figure. My battle report is here:

    http://bobthepainter.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/action-at-pont-de-la-croix.html

    ReplyDelete