Sunday 7 January 2018

Time for some more terrain

For my first project of 2018. I want to finish off making and painting the Necromunda miniatures I purchased las year as part of GW's Necromunda boxed set. I have already painted a few, so it should be a smallish project, while try and figure out what will be my major project of 2018. My old ECW collection, painted in random styles from when is was 15 years old and never finished, is the front runner.

Anyway, less about plans and back to some doing stuff. Most of my Warhammer 40K terrain has ruins rather than actual buildings. So I am adding a few intact buildings for the Necromunda miniatures, and decided to start with some very simple containers for a run down space dock.

A piece of timber (1 3/4 inch by 2 1/2 inch) was cut to size and corrigated cardboard from the local art shop was stuck with PVA glue to all the sides.
Cardboard (from a biscuit container by the looks of it) was cut out, scored and bent to cover all edges of the container..
The containers were then painted with a light grey from a sample pot (picture missing of this). A much cheaper option than model paints. Once this was dry, watered down colours were quickly washed over the grey. The containers begin already weather that way.

Now to add some, or a lot of, rust. Dark brown was quickly and randomly dabbed on with a focus on the container corners. Once dryish, this was followed by smaller a dabbing of orange over parts of the brown.  
A Steel/Silver colour was then dry brushed on to the rusted areas and edges of the containers.
While all this painting and waiting to dry, I was able to complete a small skirmish game with 5 figures per side. The rules used are some house rules. I had been using a Fistful of Lead rules, but found the card mechanism not so good for solo playing. This lead to a change in the activation mechanism, which in turn lead to a change in combat, and before long the house rules were quite different. More posts on them next week I suspect.

A game in progress while paint was drying
The finished containers with some models for scale.

10 comments:

  1. As always, your artistic and crafting ability to see the outcome before you even start is a skill to admire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The effect did not really come together until the silver was added. As I added the paint, there was the: hmmm not sure, hmmm maybe, ahhh there it is, going through my mind. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Very nicely done, rust effect is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I see by the pictures how you went from bits of wood etc to container but when I look at the final pictures with them in situ, my mind does not accept that these aren't little metal containers full of ..something! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It always surprises me how simple colour combinations are so effective. There was no detailed painting, just quick dabbing of paint.

      Delete
  4. Your shipping containers look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I now need to get them into a game.

      Delete
  5. But they don't have doors! How will the marines hide in them? :P Looks cool ^_^

    ReplyDelete