Wednesday 23 May 2018

A couple of book purchases

This week is turning out to be a week of deliveries. First the arrival of some gifted WW2 and SYW Spencer Smiths on Monday, then today a couple of second-hand books turned up which I had spotted a couple of week ago and had ordered.


Once upon a time I used to own a copy of "Military Modelling: A guide to Solo Wargaming", but somewhere with various moves it got lost. Quickly flicking through the chapters I had forgotten there was one on siege wargaming and how it was suited to solo gaming. This could prove very useful in some up coming siege games with house rules I am planning.

The "Wargaming World War Two" was an impulse buy, partly as it was hardback at a reasonable price. At first glance it provides summary background and data on equipment and organisation of armies.

10 comments:

  1. I recently picked up a used copy of Wargaming WWII too. I would be very interested in your thoughts on the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an odd book which I would describe as a comprehensive summary. Almost like Featherstone's Wargames through the Ages, but just on WW2.

      Delete
  2. Nice additions to the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to reacquainting myself with a guide to solo wargaming.

      Delete
  3. I love that solo wargaming book. It's full of ideas and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten how many practical ideas and scenarios contained within its pages.

      Delete
  4. They both look to be in very good condition for their vintage. I just can’t make up my mind about some of these older titles, that are part of my own wargaming history. I’m sort of stuck between a nostalgic yearning of the old and a liking of the more modern approach to the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nostalga does play a part. The solo wargaming I am sure will provide some ideas, while Wargaming WW2 I suspect will be more about an enjoyable read. Recent books particularly by Neil Thomas and rule sets by Dan Mersey are having the most influence upon my gaming in recent years, and continue to do so.

      Delete
  5. Peter- nothing like a good read of older publications that will be useful to you in your miniature campaigns. There is something special about older Wargames books dating back to the early 80s - fascinating. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The solo wargaming will certainly be helpful, and both will be enable to read.

      Delete