When I setup my terrain for WW2 games, and before any miniatures are placed, I find there is little to distinguish it from my Napoleonic games. So with that in mind I decided what I needed was some telegraph poles.
Telegraph poles ready to leave the painting table
The telegraph poles were quickly made using 4mm dowel and a matchstick cut in half for cross pieces. Holes were drilled in the MDF bases and cut dowel glued to the base. Painting was simple, dark brown with watered down grey quickly painted over to break up the brown.
Allied forces advance into a town.
In all 13 telegraph poles rolled off the painting table, sufficient to add a hint of 20th century to my tabletop.