Tuesday 22 January 2019

Quick one hour skirmish war-game

Having completed playing an English Civil War game I thought I would fit in a quick Nercomunda style skirmish game. Having recently completed painting my version of the Orlock gang, I was quite keen to get them all on to the tabletop.

Their opponents this time were the Chaos Crew gang. Both gangs were pretty evenly armed with an assortment of pistols, close combat weapons, assault rifles, and light machine gun of some type. I keep the weapon rules pretty straightforward:

Pistols - 12"
Assault rifles - 24"
Light machine gun - 36" - draws three resolution cards.
Close combat weapons - draws an extra resolution card.

The measures above are converted to the 6" squares on my tabletop.

The Chaos Gang (a motley crew if there ever was one)
The Orlock gang (recently painted)
The Chaos Gang is holed up in an ex-military outpost with some recently acquired supplies. The area is on the outer edge of the hive sprawl and has some dangerous wildlife in the form of Dropbats, which are roosting nearby and will swoop down to attack the closest food source (gang member).

Dropbats will swoop down at the end of a turn if a red card is drawn.
The Orlock Gang's objective is to take the outpost. They can arrive on any table edge and will most likely avoid the roosting Dropbats if they are sensible.

The roosting Dropbats - one will swoop down at the end of turn when a red card is drawn.
The Chaos Gang on guard.
The Orlock scout ahead. 
The first Dropbat attacks and draws attention from a number of gang members as they fight off the attack.
The rest of the Orlock gang arrives and gets a warm welcome from the defenders.
Another Dropbat attack is making life difficult for the defenders.
A few downed models show the fierce defender's fire. However, the Chaos gang  leader was also downed and was killed. At which point the Chaos gang fled.
I am enjoying the card mechanism used. It produces quick results, quicker then rolling dice, and provides a different feel the game.









6 comments:

  1. The dropbats are superb and must be adding much to the game. That's a nice table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly added an un predictable element to the game, and as it turned out tied up a third of the defenders. Downing two of them if memory serves my right.

      Delete
  2. can I say superb a second time! I have just gone back in and had a scout around amongst the photographs - very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! The rules sound interesting, I may have to break down and get a hard copy as I have been unable to impulse purchase on my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For whatever reason I am finding the rules do provide an enjoyable and fast game. The shuffling of cards is the only delay (which I do at the end of a turn). The core rules are very much a toolkit and you add to them for the period of choice using the provided scenarios as a guide.

      Delete