Sunday 17 March 2019

Escarpment terrain and Jacobites

This weekend's free time has been spent adding to my paper soldier Jacobite army and creating some escarpment terrain for the on-going WW2 Western Desert project.

Two more units which are scaled up to be 40mm
With most of my WW2 Western Desert units completed. I am beginning to play more and more games with the recently painted Italian forces. One terrain type I want to add to the tabletop are escarpments. So with a fine weekend ahead it was a good time to try and create some for my hexed tabletop.
I opted to use MDF bases to give the terrain some weight in an attempt to stop the terrain moving during the game when knocked. I use a hex template I made and use it to draw the hexes which are then cut out.
The base is them glued on to some insulation foam. Bricks were used to hold the MDF and foam together while the glue dries.
Once the glue was dry the foam is shaped with a coping saw.
The foam is covered in painters masking tape, covered in PVA glue, and flock (or sand) is sprinkled over before the glue dries.
The terrain is painted with a base sand colour
Light grey and rusty brown washes are applied
Dark brown is dabbed on the escarpment face.
The terrain gets a dry brush of the original base sand colour
A closer view of the escarpment 
A view from the top of the escarpment
Now to setup a game using the newly created terrain.

11 comments:

  1. Impressive terrain, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You escarpments are a huge improvement over my own designs. I'll have to revisit those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The insulating foam from the hardware store is very versatile and easily shaped.

      Delete
  3. Super work on your escarpment hexes. A great addition to your Western Desert project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am looking forward to using them in a game.

      Delete
  4. Nicely thought out and executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am very happy with the results.

      Delete
  5. Very nicely done, and functional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am testing out the functionality in a game right now. Thanks.

      Delete