Sunday 31 March 2019

Paper soldiers and brewed-up tanks

Continuing the WW2 Western Desert theme from my previous post, this weekend I set about making some brewed up tank markers for the terrain. I had been using just blackened pillow stuffing. While this looked ok, it was a bit too obtrusive as they had been originally made for my 20mm WW2 units. So I set about creating some very rough and ready 6mm looking tanks with some modelling clay. The type of clay you pop into the oven to harden. Then painted and attached some blackened stuffing.

A game in progress using the brewed up markers
The brewed up markers are used in modified Tank on Tank rules to block line of sight and visibility. These and other rule modifications are starting to settle down. My last big change was to start using playing cards rather than 2D6, and adjusted unit defence values up by one to reflect a greater range of results.

Brewed up tanks - a closer look
I hope to do a battle report soon, but do need to get back to my ECW campaign which has languished for the last few weeks, as this and the Jacobite paper soldier projects have taken up my wargaming time.
Another two units about to leave the painting table.

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried felting wool? Very similar to what you are using but it comes in a variety of colours. reds, orange, yellow, white, black and grey work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not come across felting wool, I will keep my eye out for that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete