Thursday 30 May 2019

Deciding on the next mini-project

As I slowly edge towards the completion of my paper soldier Jacobite '45 armies with a couple of artillery pieces.

I think for my next project I am going to participate in a challenge proposed on the blog wrong hammer.blogspot.com - where "The idea being you buy and paint an army with a view to gaming with it for £30 (or the local currency equivalent) or less in a set number of weeks." For me this will be to build two armies for $60 Australian Dollars to play a One-Hour Wargame.

My plan for this challenge is to do another paper army. I am currently trying to decide between the War of the Spanish Succession or the Norman Conquest 1066. I have in the past made some Normans and Saxons paper soldiers, but would now like to redo them at the increased scale of 42mm rather than 28mm.


I suspect I am leaning towards Normans and Saxons with the aim of completing the challenge over a 6 week period.



9 comments:

  1. Since you already field a horse & musket collection with the Jacobite Rebellion, a Dark Age project is a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a different period will be good.

      Delete
  2. It would have to be 1066 ..... of course :-)

    i quite like the idea of the £30 project, will have a look at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree the idea of limiting costs and time to complete is quiet interesting.

      Delete
  3. Edit .... the Wrong Hammer bog doesn’t set up in a readable format on my iPad screen, will try again later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, if they are anything like as good as your last batch of paper soldiers they will be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just completed photocopying the armies for 42mm figures. Easier to cut out and easier for me to determine the unit type without the need for glasses.

      Delete
  5. They do look most impressive on the table like that and I agree that 1066 would make a great follow up project. Although they are 'flat' by deploying them in 3 ranks it somehow gives a more 3D effect, very clever. Have you seen Peter Dennis' amazing carthaginian elephant designs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having three ranks certainly helps with the look. Yes, I have been looking at the ancients on the paper boys site, and the elephants do look good.

      Delete