Saturday 18 January 2020

Considering the next project

As the St. Nazaire project comes towards an end I need to decide upon my next project. The choice I have:

  1. Painting my remaining plastic Seven Years War Spencer Smith figures with the aim of playing a few games from the book "Scenarios for Wargames".
  2. Painting my old Minifig Samurai figures and recent secondhand Minifig purchases (S Range I believe, but not sure).

The advantage of the SYW project is I will be adding to existing units from my French Indian War units and the troops will get to the tabletop quicker for a game. My aim is to create units with two stands of 10 figures and a command stand with a mounted officer, foot officer and flag bearer (something like the photo below). The existing French Indian War units are single bases of 10 figures.


Before painting my old Minifig Samurai I will have to strip off the old paint first and clean them up. I also have to figure out how to deal with the slight difference in the Minifig ranges. Both are 25mm, but one has a much more bulkier look.

Old figures and recent second hand purchase.
Both ranges are 25mm
One figure is much more bulky

Right now on the painting table are a couple of Hinchliffe ECW hand-drawn powder carts.



17 comments:

  1. Lovely to see these old samurai figures. I had them many moons ago and played with them using LWS Samurai rules. I look forward to seeing your painting of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to organising and painting them.

      Delete
  2. Nice choices, SYW might give you the fastest route to a completed project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd go the SYW route, as it's the quickest project to complete. Love the hand drawn powder carts, which I've never seen before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan in incorporate the powder cards into the ECW rules. They are a nice set of figures.

      Delete
  4. I seem to also be getting into 'vintage' figures these days - just put the first coat of varnish on three 40-man ECW Hinchliffe foot units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the level of detail on the older miniature ranges suit my preferred painting style.

      Delete
  5. I remember someone (possibly Donald Featherstone) suggested using slightly larger figures for elites / Guard Units.
    The hand-drawn carts are unusual and nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An interesting way of using larger figures.

      Delete
    2. One of the guys I game with uses larger figures for commanders in both his Napoleonic and MAW armies. It looks a little to me but he enjoys it.

      Delete
  6. You've already got a 7YW game to play with your FIW collection. I'd go with the Samurai, and get something new on the table. Just keep the bigger figures to their own bases, and it shouldn't be too much of a suspension of disbelief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping the figures seperate seems like the way to go. I am leaning towards the SYW, but do need to paint up a test group (or two) of Samurai.

      Delete
  7. Sounds great. I like the sound of the Spencer Smiths always fancied having a go at painting some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it a nice change not having to paint heaps of detail with Spencer Smiths.

      Delete
  8. Hi Peter- Your going great guns on your Projects. I'd be tempted to go with your Spencer Smith figures with a view to finishing the Project before moving onto something else- just an idea...the Regiments look superb- well done. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KEV. A quick project may be the way to go.

      Delete