Thursday 8 September 2022

Finishing medieval units and thinking about the next project

The last couple of bases of medieval bowmen leave the painting table. This leaves two bases of mounted men at arms to complete for the planned additions to my medieval armies to be complete. 

Two bases of medieval bowmen

A  ground level view of the completed units

The one issue with the additional bases is they no longer will fit comfortably into the draw where they are stored. A bit of reorganising of the gaming room will soon be required.

Storage draw is full of medieval

I now need to decide what is next for the painting table. My options are:

Fantasy - I have an Orc and Goblin army painted from a decade ago (pre-blog time) with no opposition. I am tempted to use them with the Dragon Rampant rules (which I also have) and paint up a small retinue from the Games Workshop Age of Sigmar range to face them.

Seven Years War - I have some more plastic Spencer Smith SYW figures hidden away. I could add to my French-Indian War forces or just expand for some smaller generic SYW games.

Operation Sea-lion - This would be a challenge project and would be run eventually as a campaign. The challenge would be to do in on less than $100 using plastic 20mm figures and all vehicles scratch built using wooden dowel and MDF sheet (similar to what I did for my WW1 Palestine campaign - example here).

Finally I just want to say a big thank you to all who provided comments, ideas, and emails with rules on some ECW rules options from my previous blog post. Much appreciated and a lot to consider. I am still testing out different activation options on the tabletop to see what sits best with my simple wargaming tastes.

20 comments:

  1. Good progress, Peter! You are in the home stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sea-lion is a fascinating 'what if', but quite a task, while growing the SYW would be a gentler path to getting something new to the table. I think I would go for SYW, but start the Sea-lion in the background as a slow burn start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sea-lion operation has been on my hope to do wargaming list for a long time, but I suspect one of the other options are the most likely.

      Delete
  3. Once you’ve painted up the men at arms, all you need is Angela Lansbury on a broomstick to foil Sealion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the film after a bit of Googling :-)

      Delete
  4. Oooh oooh do Sealion’ that’d be a brilliant campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter, you always know you are doing the hobby properly when you run out of room to store stuff. 😊 It is not a sign to stop, but a sign to buy more storage, and as storage is not toy soldiers it comes out of the general budget, not the hobby budget. 😁
    Sea-lion sounds lots of fun. Anyway of combining the SYW and Sea-lion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite surprised to find I had run out of room. I like the budget approach.
      I try and avoid multiple project.

      Delete
  6. Sealion is a perennial favourite of mine, which I dip into now and then. But it does need some AFV's to make it viable IMHO, which is fine but might take time to scratch build enough. A fun challenge though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sealion project would be the most difficult of the three options.

      Delete
  7. A vote for the Fantasy next if you're taking suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fantasy option is shaping up as the front runner the more I think about it.

      Delete
  8. Lol, how big is the drawer I’m curious? The medievals are looking good. 😀
    You should paint whatever it is you want to play of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 27 inches wide and 18 inches deep. Since posting I have worked out if I put the stakes and palisades elsewhere the units all fit. Yay! I am still pondering the options, but the fantasy is settling in as a good option.

      Delete
  9. That's a grand array of medieval soldiery Peter, I can't help you with you're painting decision though. I used to be decisive but now I'm not so sure!.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's something very satisfying about a storage drawer FULL of figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly is! And after a bit of manoeuvring of units in the draw I can now fit in two more bases.

      Delete