Sunday 30 July 2023

ECW painting and markers

Continuing with the English Civil War theme of posts this weekend I have been painting a few more figures.

Pikemen to be used as markers.

First up were some individually based pikemen. No, I am not changing my basing approach, these figures are to be used as markers to show when a unit is out of ammunition. I currently use a markers to track hits and also when an infantry units is out of ammunition. While I accept the need for markers in games, I do like to avoid or disguise them if possible. So when an infantry unit is out of ammunition, I will now place one of the pikemen as a marker to show that.

Current unit markers used to track out of ammunition and unit hits (7 in this case as the 7 is against the base)

The pikeman will replace the out of ammunition marker.

Also painted up was an infantry unit. This now balances out my ECW armies so they both have four infantry units each. So it has turned out to be a very productive weekend of painting.

Another two base infantry unit painted.

A view from the side.

I did also manage to fit in a medieval game. No report just a picture, the painting took precedence.

Medieval game on the tabletop.



18 comments:

  1. Seems like you have had a very productive weekend Peter, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The productivity was not planned, I just somehow got into the painting groove and decided to keep painting.

      Delete
  2. Always satisfying to be able to track progress by having something to show for all the effort.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding figures to existing armies always seems easier and more enjoyable than painting a new army from scratch.

      Delete
  3. Good idea Peter. I use casualty figures as unit status markers. For the ECW I use the position of command stands to indicate posture of the unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a nice way of using command figures.

      Delete
  4. Good progress continues! Why the choice of a pikeman rather than a musketeer for your out of ammo marker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider having a musketeer reloading, but in the end opted for a pikeman as all subsequent combat would be push of pike and having an extra pikeman would look better.

      Delete
  5. A fine new unit, and a marker up grade! Old Glory does 2 big packs of ECW casualty figures; very inexpensive here in the US, but not so overseas with the absurd cost of international shipping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. The postage cost now-a-days is eye watering.

      Delete
  6. I was so energised by your ECW posts that I went to my lead pile of old minifigs and Tradition and completed a unit of Newcastle's whitecoats based for Practical Wargaming

    Still one of my go to books

    Next some French mercenaries

    Pete

    Speed paints are great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear some of the lead pike is getting painted. I do like the old MiniFigs, you can occasionally spot one of two in some of my ECW units.

      Delete
  7. Nicely done. It makes a handy at-a-glance reference and cuts down book keeping. I use something similar for Victory Without Quarter rules. I sculpted casualty figures to indicate the state of the units' cohesion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sculpting casualty figures sounds interesting.

      Delete
  8. Great looking unit and marker ideas Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I tried to paint them in neutral colours so they can be used by either Royalist and Parliament units.

      Delete
  9. good job. I always like it when markers match the theme. I do the same thing since I saw the idea in an ACW ruleset: A casualty figure for disorder, a guy reloading for low on ammo, etc.. and now I do it for all my games if I can help it. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using figures where possible is a nice way of showing unit status, but does add to the painting.

      Delete