In my first tests I used the suggested approach and decided it was all a bit too flimsy for wargaming and would (in my clumsy hands) overtime become all bent out of shape. So I went with a simpler approach of decoupage with the cut out figures to make them look like a unit, then touch up the surrounds and flock the bases which would be geared to my normal basing of 3 to 4 inches.
Using 0.75mm balsa wood sheet (1.5mm will also work) I cut out and stuck two of the picture blocks onto the balsa sheet. These look like a very thin line of troops and more work is required to give the impression of a block of troops.
|Stick on two pictures on side by side|
|Reverse pictures stuck on the other side|
|Cut out individual or groups of men to add to the front and back|
|The decoupaged unit|
|Tidy up any lines between the cut out blocks.|
|Base the units|
Once the blue is dry a watered down white paint to break up the blue and highlight around the troops. I also use the same approach near the bottom with browns and sandy yellows to tie in with the rest of the picture.
Once all is dry I paint the base green and use flock. Finally, I paint on an acrylic varnish to seal the unit.
|Background boarder painted and base flocked.|
|Ready for a game|
Cost of the book $20
Cost of balsa wood sheets $8
MDF sheet (for stands) $2
Cost of profession photocopying on weighted paper $40
Throwing in some paint costs, flock and a new sharp blade the cost per army will work out at about $25.
I do like the style these figures are painted in and will be getting a copy of the book covering the Roman Invasion (out in May 2017).