Wednesday 22 June 2016

Deciding tabletop terrain

This week I am trying to get a couple of WW2 games in as part of my campaign. For each game the terrain is randomly generated based upon the terrain type in the campaign zone (described in some posts a few weeks back). I am finding this approach to deciding the placement of terrain features is generating some very interesting tabletops to game over. The layout of the table is often such that I would never think of placing the terrain features that way myself. I'm now thinking I will continue to use this approach with some of my one off games, and to add a twist I will withhold one or two pieces of terrain which get randomly placed after troops have been deployed to create surprises.

The random generated terrain is positioned
All terrain features are added




10 comments:

  1. DBA 3.0 has a semi-random terrain placement system which throws up some interesting surprises. I adapted it for my game of choice, Hordes of the Things, a few years ago, and it radically improves the games there as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The randomness certainly works with a layout for NW European scenery where I have quite a lot of terrain features. It will be interesting to see with other games requiring fewer features on the tabletop.

      Delete
  2. Good idea to remove a piece after setting up. I saw that somewhere once and can't remember whether it was the attacker or defender that removed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another option I am considering (especially where there are fewer terrain features) is moving terrain once forces are deployed. For example, a wood thought to be on the left flank may be more towards enemy line that the scouts originally indicated.

      Delete
  3. Hi Peter,
    I have used similar systems for Memoir '44 and Battle Cry. That seems to work well, because I find sometimes that unless I use a scenario book my "just put some terrain down" layouts look kind of generic. The random element adds interest and is more realistic as well, not knowing exactly what to expect.
    All of your systems are coming together very nicely.
    Regards,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, somehow when laying down terrain I always try and balance it out and the randomness does somehow help.

      Delete
  4. Hi- I'm very impressed by your site Peter- Do like your Peter Laing AWI and WW1 collections- and certainly like your 1/72nd WW2 collection as well and approach to gaming. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KEV. I have really enjoyed playing with my old Peter Laing miniatures after so many years of being boxed up and almost thrown out. The WW2 collection has certainly grown beyond what I originally planned. Regards, Peter

      Delete
  5. I would like to Follow your site - though there does seem to be no allowance (Gadget) to do this. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will try and find the gadget and add it. Regards Peter

    ReplyDelete